Gifted Program @GA Aquarium
Centennial Academy in the Aquarium
Gifted and Talented Program
2016 – 2017
This year Centennial Academy and Georgia Aquarium have forged a unique partnership that re-imagines what the "classroom" can look like through a truly experiential learning environment. Through this collaboration, students will be engaged in authentic learning experiences that will make direct connections between the curriculum and the real world to promote student achievement.
1st Semester Curriculum:
Writing in the Aquarium (narrative)
1st Grade: Aquatic Plants & Animals and Measurement/Data
2nd Grade: Chemistry and Measurement
3rd and 4th Grade (combined) Marine Ecosystems & Conservation and Area and Perimeter
5th Grade: Aquatic Microorganism and Decimals & Fractions
- Monday 1st Grade
- Tuesday 5th Grade
- Wednesday 3rd and 4th Grades
- Thursday 2nd Grade
- Friday Planning Day for Teachers
- 8:15 Students dismissed from classroom and meet in the Front Atrium
- 8:30 Depart for the Aquarium
- 8:45 – 11:00 Instruction
- 11:00 – 11:30 Lunch
- 11:30 – 2:00 Instruction
- 2:00 Depart Aquarium
Students will have three options for lunch.
- Bring lunch from home
- Prepared sack lunch from school
- Purchase lunch from Aquarium
What will the day look like?
- Students will be dismissed from their homeroom classes after the morning announcements on their scheduled day.
- Students are expected to wear their school uniform on their challenge day.
- Students must bring gifted supplies, lunch, and a book for leisure reading.
- Teachers and students will depart Centennial and ride the school bus to Georgia Aquarium.
- Classes depart aquarium and return to their homeroom class for end of the day dismissal.
- A student arrives late for school?
If a student arrives late to school, after the bus has departed for the aquarium, the student must remain at school for the remainder of that day.
- We’re late, can I drop my student off at the aquarium?
Parent drop-off will not be allowed at the aquarium. All students must depart from Centennial Academy with their class
- I need to pick up my child early from school for an appointment?
Students needing early dismissal (doctor’s appt., dental appt., etc.) must stay at school for the day. Please try not to make appointments on Challenge days if possible.
- I have an emergency early dismissal?
Parent must contact Centennial Academy’s front office and they will notify the teachers to make arrangements for parent pick-up.
- My child gets sick at the aquarium?
The gifted teachers and Georgia Aquarium Education Department will coordinate pick-up with parents and Centennial.
- My child takes medication daily?
Only students requiring regularly scheduled medication will be administered medication by the gifted teachers. No other medications will be dispensed by the gifted teachers.
- My child has additional medications at school in case of an emergency?
Nurse Williams will ensure medications housed in the nurse’s office (ie: inhalers, Nebulizers, Epi-Pens etc.) are given to the teachers each day and returned each day.
- I want to observe my child’s class?
Parents are welcomed, but will have to purchase tickets. See the Georgia Aquarium website for ticket information.
Tentative Semester Schedule
Week of August 15, 2016 – Classes begin at the Aquarium
Weeks of September 19 – 30 – Intersession
Week of November 28th through December 16 – Gifted Assessment (classes cancelled)
Gifted and Talented Teacher Contact Information
- Adele Pollard: email@example.com
- Aisha Chadwick: firstname.lastname@example.org
Aquarium Education Staff
- Kristyn Tumbleson: Director of Education